Three Pennsylvania sportsbooks have dominated the online sports betting market, FanDuel, BetMGM, and DraftKings. As of October 1st, the three sportsbooks are responsible for 75% of all wagers placed in Pennsylvania.
FanDuel currently sits in first with 28.4% of the total handle in the state. BetMGM has handled 23.5% of all wagers placed. While DraftKings represents the remaining 23.2% of wagers.
Since launching sports betting in Pennsylvania in January 2021, FanDuel Sportsbook MI has stood above the rest. FanDuel has relinquished its #1 spot (in terms of total handle) just four times in the past two years. The four months where FanDuel wasn’t the #1 sportsbook in online handle were August 2021, September 2021, November 2021, and October 2022. Last month, DraftKings took the number one spot for the total online handle. FanDuel still led the books in total revenue for the month, however.
With such a strong history of success in Pennsylvania’s market, it makes sense that the FanDuel mobile app was ranked the best mobile sports wagering app in a Q3 report by Eilers & Krejcik.
FanDuel claims the top spot during Q3
Eilers & Krejcik release a quarterly report detailing the top sportsbooks and mobile apps currently available in the US. The research firm appointed FanDuel Sportsbook as the #1 mobile app for sports betting for Q3. The report is sent out by Eilers & Krejcik every other week and details how the various sportsbooks made the cut. The research firm attributed FanDuel’s success this quarter to the brand’s popular same-game parlays or SGPs. SGPs have become extremely popular across the US during this year’s NFL season. SGPs allow players to combine numerous wagers from a single game that takes place the day the wager is placed. Almost all sports betting and daily fantasy apps like FanDuel, DraftKings, and Sleeper offer SGPs.
Eilers & Krejcik’s quarterly report from Q2 of this year resulted in DraftKings taking the top spot over FanDuel.
“FanDuel and DraftKings were essentially neck and neck in our Q2 testing, but the Flutter-owned brand kicked clear in Q3. Its rise was driven by best-in-class SGP features, ease of use, and a massive range of markets,” said Eilers & Krejcik, referring to FanDuel.
Flutter Entertainment owns 95% of FanDuel, with Boyd Gaming claiming the remaining 5% of the company. Flutter Entertainment purchased a 58% stake in FanDuel back in 2018 with the option to buy the remaining shares through two payments in July 2021 and July 2023. The entertainment company was able to secure the additional 37% stake in FanDuel early, however, in December 2020.
Who is Eilers & Krejcik?
Eilers & Krejcik is a market research company for the iGaming and sports betting industry. According to the company’s website, their reports and surveys are “designed specifically to track key industry and product demand drivers, operating metrics, market share trends, and technology adoption rates.” The company then sells these reports to companies interested in the online casino and sports betting space.
Other interesting insights from the report
The report reviewed 40 different online sports betting sites as part of their report. BetPARX has seen a dramatic increase in the rankings, rising eight spots since the Q2 report. Part of the increase was attributed to the fact that the brand signed a new partnership with the Philadelphia 76ers.
On the other side of the spectrum was Circa Sports. According to the report, Circa has some exciting things to offer players with its high-limit approach, but still has work to do. The report ranked the sports betting app 39th out of 40.
BetMGM was ranked fourth overall for the Q3 report.
Mac Daniel is a Pennsylvania native and freelance writer for PlayOnlineCasino and PlayOnlineSportsBetting. He has experience writing about a wide variety of topics, including healthcare, tourism, non-profit organizations, and most recently casino and sportsbetting news. To check out more of his work, visit: playonlinenewyork.com